Mission Statement – True North is not for everyone
______

Editor’s Notes
______

London-Venezuela oil deal, practical
socialism or enlightened capitalism?

Richard Gott of The Guardian says probably no international agreement has been quite so unusual as the deal signed Tuesday, February 20, between Ken Livingstone, London's mayor, and the European branch of Venezuela's state oil company. — 608 words.
______

Kadyrov seeks more control
over Chechen energy firm

Acting Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov has called for a new economic strategy to make Chechnya financially less dependent on Moscow. Kadyrov said that if Chechnya could develop its own economy, particularly its oil sector, it could become "a highly profitable donor region," Itar-Tass quoted him as saying at a roundtable in Grozny. — 302 words.
______

Russian-American killing machines
are leading world-class competitors

Russia will boost arms sales to a record of $7.5 billion in 2007 as the Kremlin breaks into new markets for its military equipment, says First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov. — 288 words.
______

Chechen choice: Putin’s puppet
or at the mercy of bureaucrats

The circumstances of Chechen President Alu Alkhanov's departure and replacement by Prime Minister Ramzan Kadyrov, right down to the date, was worked out with President Vladimir Putin in December 2006. This information comes from Kremlin and Southern Federal District sources that have become more talkative since the announcement. — 649 words.
______

Iraq labour, civil society, strive for democracy,
and to protect resources from big-oil greed

According to British media, the US and UK governments are on track to achieve a March victory in Iraq. This victory will not be publicized nor will it mean an end to the occupation. Written by Bush and Blair's big oil business partners who serve as the leaders' advisors on foreign policy, the new Iraq hydrocarbon law opens the door for international investors, led by BP, Exxon and Shell, to siphon off 75 percent of Iraq oil wealth for 30 years. This economic model is called a "Production Sharing Agreement." But is a 75/25 split, with bloated oil companies taking 75 percent of the country's wealth and leaving just 25 percent for the devastated Iraqis, a sharing agreement or an armed robbery? — 1,350 words.
______

True North Canuck Fact of the Day
 
Think Canada when it comes to Big Cheese

Canada once laid claim to producing the world’s largest cheese.  Made in Perth, Ontario, the cheese weighed almost 10,000 kilograms (22,000 pounds). It was shipped by train for display at the Chicago Worlds’ Fair in 1893.

Trivia compiled by Randy Ray and Mark Kearney. Visit their Web site at:   www.triviaguys.com
_____
 
Harold Wright, True North's  Doctor of Punology, says,  "If you take a laptop computer for a run you could jog your memory."

______
 
Link not working? Story not loading? Can't click on the links? Got another computer problem? Never fear! Carl is here!
 
If you have any problems with accessing the newsletter or problems with your computer, send an email to Carl Hall  chall2k5@gmail.com , and he will be more than happy to assist you.
______

To purchase the book:
Randy Ray
(613) 731-3873
rocket@intranet.ca
______
 
Archives

______
 
Until Further Notice
 
Please mail all donation cheques to:
 
Carl Dow
39 Melgund Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1S 2S1
 
"Why wait for spring?
 Do it now . . ."

______
 
Carl Dow, Editor and Publisher
Carl Hall, Technical Analyst and Web Editor
______