Qatar opens $300 million plant to produce
environment-friendly household detergent

The Peninsula
Qatar Daily News

DOHA, Qatar — The First Deputy Premier and Foreign Minister H E Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem bin Jabor Al Thani yesterday formally inaugurated the SEEF Company’s $300 million Linear Alkyl Benzene (LAB) plant in Mesaieed Industrial City.

SEEF Limited is a joint stock company with Qatar Petroleum (QP) holding 80 per cent of the shares and United Development Company (UDC) the remaining 20 per cent.

The plant, which is designed to produce 100,000 metric tonnes of LAB per annum, a detergent intermediate used for the manufacture of environment-friendly household detergents, started its production early last year.

LAB produced at the plant is currently being exported to major buyers in the Middle East, Far East and Europe.

Later, the Second Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy and Industry, H E Abdullah bin Hamad Al Attiyah, told reporters at the ceremony that Qatar is poised to become the world's fourth largest producer of petrochemicals by 2012 when the country's total production will reach 28 million tonnes per annum.

Al Attiyah said that the SEEF plant is an added value and in line with the country's policy of optimal utilisation of oil and gas resources by manufacturing by-products.

He said that SEEF Limited, the owner of the LAB plant, underscores the country's commitment to enhance and promote the role of the private sector in the economic development to take part in such projects.

"The strategic plan of QP is based on establishing integrated economically feasible projects for the country, and by introducing special programs to promote and encourage investment by the private sector in medium-scale petrochemical projects, and achieving optimal utilisation of such products,"

Al Attiyah earlier said in his address at the inaugural ceremony of the LAB plant,
that the plant has at present reached maximum production capacity of 280 metric tonnes per day of LAB, which is mainly used in the detergent industries and 260 metric tonnes per day of normal paraffin, derived from kerosene produced by QP Refinery.
______